Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Batiquitos Lagoon; MP Interviews; WHAT?!?? No Water???

We sure missed our morning walks those two weeks when I was sick and struggling to breathe. We were anxious to go on an adventure when Monday rolled around. Although we had already walked the Batiquitos Lagoon Trail before, we opted to go there again.

When we came to this bench, I noticed a small, logged enclosure and wondered what was penned up inside...
Hmmm...
I am still left wondering the necessity to fence in the contents. Strange!
Another strange thing we saw on our walk--The Creature From Batiquitos Lagoon.
We enjoyed the log foot rests at one of the benches.

It is a calming and peaceful thing to be out in nature. 


Something not very calming was our house!

Glen had set up his desk space on the kitchen table. To be fair to him, the papers and stuff on half the table belonged to me.
The stuff from the hall closet was still strewn about the family room. The big Christmas tree box was sitting in the foyer. Baskets of laundry were waiting to be done.
I had been waiting for the fans to be removed from the laundry room, but to no avail. When the workers came back to collect all the machines, it was determined that the laundry room and office were still wet.

So, I had to brave the heat and the machine noise and the obstacle course of the machines each time I went in the laundry room to switch out loads of laundry. But--we finally had clean clothes after 10 days of not doing laundry.
We fit in another foot doctor appointment on letter day. Glen always ignores Dr. Dustin and me as he taps away on his iPad trying his best to get all the missionaries' letters done on Monday.

It still feels like I have a tumor in my right foot. He shot it up in two spots and left the left foot alone. I stood up to show him my floating left big toe. He doesn't like the looks of it, but said to ignore it for now.

My right big toe is a bit of a floater as well, but at least I can make it touch the floor when standing which I can't do with the left big toe.
We began the first day of Mission President interviews with the Temecula and Murrieta zones--41 missionaries total. We always have dinner up there after interviews so we can avoid traffic.
Glen had commented at least 5 times on the drive home that he was tired and wanted to get to bed a little early that night.

When we arrived home at 8:30 that night, we pulled up and saw the water heater in the middle of the garage--not attached to anything. UH OH!! 

That meant not only did we not have any hot water, it meant we didn't have any water at all going into the house. 
We spent a few minutes looking around the garage to see what work had been done on the house that day. Some long water pipes had been installed along the wall.

They wanted to get the offending pressure backflow preventer valve (to the right of the yellow power plug) out beyond the small step. That way if there is ever another water leak from that, the water should go out into the garage and down the driveway and not up into the house.

I had earlier blamed the water heater for all our problems, but it was this backflow thing that was the cause of all our problems. It was right next to the water heater, so I was confused. Don't know a lot about plumbing...
The sheet rock had been put up and taped and mudded in some areas.



The workers were making progress, but it was frustrating for us to have to pack up and go to a hotel that night when Glen was so tired.

The irony of the hotel stay was the next morning we had interviews at the church right around the corner from us. So close to the house. But that night we were in a hotel. Oh well! That's life. We are finding life takes us on many crazy adventures.
Glen did interviews with a total of 43 missionaries that day starting in Carlsbad and moving to Del Mar in the afternoon.

While he was interviewing, I was talking to the missionaries who had not completed their area book training online and had them work on that. I was also asking them what had impressed them from general conference.

It was fun and interesting to hear their responses as we discussed together our feelings as we had watched and listened to our new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, and the other leaders speak.
This elder broke his finger a few weeks earlier while playing basketball. His companion was the cause of the break. UGH!! Yet another p-day injury. 
That evening when we arrived home, we were happy to see the water heater was back on its newly sheet rocked pedestal. It is now sitting in a pan which will take care of any possible future leaks.

The pan has a pipe leading out from it which will carry the water out beyond the small step in the garage. That way the water will drain into the lower part of the garage and out onto the driveway instead of into the house.
The last of the fans and dehumidifiers had been removed from inside the house. YIPPEE!!!!
The third day of interviews we spent in Escondido with 36 missionaries. 
That evening Glen had a meting in Murrieta which I did not need to attend. I used that time wisely to put back all the stuff into the hall closet that had been strewn about the house for days and days on end. There's something to be said about an orderly house!! It makes a person (in this case our two persons) feel more calm and peaceful when the house is in order.

This may not look like a very orderly closet, but it's what I have to work with. I had suggested a long time ago that perhaps shelves could be added in there, but that hasn't happened. 
 
So, for now all the stuff is back on the floor. Only this time, I have lots of confidence we won't have another flood in there. Unless, of course, the bathroom or laundry room floods. In that case, we'll be back at square one with everything in the closet getting wet again.

But let's not even think of that possibility!!!!

Our fourth day of interviews was held at the mission office where Glen met with 30 missionaries. I forgot to take pictures until the very end of the day when I snapped this one and only photo. 
We squeezed in a date night dinner and then headed to Costco and Walmart to load up on groceries since Saturday was going to be a busy day as it was Vista stake's conference weekend.

Most of the house was back in order by that evening. The carpet needs to be fixed in a corner of the room off the garage. 

The carpet needs to be fixed in the doorway of Glen's office. There is also a problem behind his desk. The desk/cabinet area had to be removed due to water damage. They brought in a table for our printer while we wait for them to figure out what to do with that space.

That works fine for us. Glen can at least now get to his desk and work from there instead of from the kitchen table. Brenda came that day to do a thorough house cleaning after all the water/construction mess. 
It was a welcome thing for us to walk into the house at the end of a very busy day/week and have it be clean once again!!

No comments: