Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Some More Summer Snapshots

Let's start with the spotty-dotty Glen... Every 6 to 12 months he goes in for a zapping by the skin doctor. Never fear! It only took about a week for him to heal and get looking back to his normal self.
G&K sprang for a family Lagoon day again this year. Dallas did another great job designing the matching t-shirts for the company. All the employees really stood out this year in their florescent orange shirts. I loved them!! 
Look at this guy here who has been living with us since April. Anybody recognize Ben in there? He's sporting the new t-shirt he bought for himself. 
Lincoln is studying that face...
 ...yup! He found his uncle Ben behind all that facial hair.
I went on a major de-junking kick a few weeks ago. It felt so good to go through everything and decide what to keep and what to throw away or give away. It was a walk down memory lane for the whole family as I pulled things out and checked whether to keep or not. 

Sarah and Ben made quite a few creations in their high school ceramics classes. These two Sarah creations now adorn the shelves in her bedroom as I deemed them keepers. 
Ben was telling us how good he was at clay pottery spheres.
These are his spherical creations he keeps on his dresser because he loves them so much.
Jacob and Laurie chose not to have me continue keeping Jacob's Scout memorabilia wall hanging. They said there is not a place for it to hang in their home.  
In one extra large box, I found all these trophies of Abe's which he gave the okay to throw away. He did request a picture of each one and suggested I take pictures of things that mean something to us before we throw them away. Good idea!!
 I had my own pile of trophies--in the form of plaques--which I earned for shorthand and typing. I figured if Abe could part with his trophies then I could part with mine.

Well...I did keep the one where I earned the title of National Typist. Maybe in 15 more years when I de-junk again, I will get another thrill out of seeing it and then maybe I will throw it away then.
How could we ever forget the Abe's head creation his friend Sam Quick made for him.
It kind of freaked Abe out at night when the head was sitting on his dresser. He ended up putting it in his closet so he could sleep.

The head is modeling the BYU helmet creation Abe made before going to a football game with Glen. Don't worry everyone--I kept the head and the helmet.
Sarah came over one day and I showed her all the old dolls and bag of (homemade) doll clothes she had been keeping. 
The bald baby sure loved the bald doll.
This was probably the kitchen cupboard that prompted all the cleaning. 
Here's the after shot of the same cupboard. 
Before drawer photo.
After photo. Hmmm. Still a junk drawer, but a little more organized junk?
I even got Glen in on the action. He pulled out the old computers and began cleaning off all the data.
This office closet was so crammed full of stuff. Now there are empty spots on the shelves and we can see the floor.
Here is a priceless picture I came across in my cleaning. Glen with his study buddy group at their Georgia State University graduation in June of 1998.
These are all the school books and binders Glen used during those intense couple of years of graduate school. They were stored on the bookshelves and in the corner of the exercise room which is also the room where the buckets of toys are kept for the grandchildren.
For YEARS I have wanted to get rid of those books and now my wish has come true. Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture, but picture all those books and binders on and by these shelves. And look at them now!
The basement storage room is another spot that needed lots of attention. Voila!! Now there are empty shelves down there!

I am really glad this project has come to an end.
There are still a few drawers here and there that could use a little attention, but pretty much all of the de-junking has occurred. What a great feeling!!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You're such a good example of cleaning and organizing. If only you had taught your ways to your eldest daughter.

Sarah said...

Yay! Thanks for inspiring me to tidy a few things up in the last couple of weeks. My pantry is half organized...maybe I should be finishing that instead of looking at blog posts...