I flew to Minnesota to spend the week with my husband in his neck of the woods. Instead of him coming home to me for the weekend as he usually does, I went there to spend the long weekend with him.
Here I am enjoying my window seat on the airplane...??? What in the world happened to the window?!?!?!??
My darling husband greeted me at the airport and took me to dinner at McCormick & Schmick's. I'll just say it once right now. All the meals we ate in Minnesota were delicious!!!!
Glen took Friday off work again like he did last year. And like last year, we once again attended the Minnesota State Fair.
From the photo, it is evident there weren't as many people there this year as last year.
We were there last year when the all-time attendance record was set--1,824,830 people in 2014 (see yellow "State Fair Trivia" facts further down in this post).
Being part of that record once was enough for us. We liked to have a little breathing room this year as we walked from exhibit to exhibit.
It was definitely more hot and humid this year. The water misters were enjoyable for those who stopped for a misting.
Shockingly, I wanted to buy something at the fair. Most people will think this is a sign I'm turning into an old lady, but when I saw sheepskin seatbelt covers--I HAD TO HAVE THEM!
At the present time I am using a washcloth to pad my shoulder because the seatbelt crosses right where my pacemaker sits and puts pressure on it and makes it uncomfortable for me to drive.
Once home and trying them out, the jury is still out as to whether I'm in love with the sheepskin cover or not. It works great once in place, but it doesn't allow for the seat belt to retract back when unbuckled.
All I can say is next time someone sees someone driving with one of those on--don't judge the person too harshly!! Maybe he or she also has a pacemaker or some kind of device implantation and likes a little padding as well.
This is what a float in the state fair parade looks like.
Couldn't help but think of our daughters at various times during the day.I just had to pose with Big Foot to prove to Sarah her extreme fear and anxiety over possibly coming face to face with the creature when she is out hiking is justified. He is real. This proves it.
This sleep shirt caught my eye as I thought of Rebecca who used to wear a nightgown that said, "Perky morning people should be shot."
We saw the usual animals. Cows, horses, goats, pigs, sheep, etc.
Don't know why these poor suckers had to wear coats on such a hot and humid day. Felt sorry for them as sweat dripped down our backs while we were pondering the situation.
This sheep was getting sheared and had to feel much cooler having shed an outer layer.
Anybody heard the expression "lazy pig?"
The llamas were probably my favorite animals I saw at the fair this year. Not so ordinary. Interesting to look at and uniquely different.
Let's see...any fair food look appealing? Definitely not the deep fried candy bars (see trivia below) nor the deep fried Twinkies.
We really enjoy the bonsai plant display. Some of those things have been growing for decades upon decades and yet some are so small despite their old age.
We also like the county displays.
So glad there was more state fair humor this year.
Something new to us this year was seed art--which means just what it sounds like. Everything on display is made out of various kinds of seeds.
This was one of my favorites because it was so well done. Not sure I love the politics involved, but the artwork is superb.
This is another of my favorites.
There was an interesting (and partly disturbing) section of scarecrows on display.
I thought my dad would enjoy seeing these large sugar beets.
The fruit display was colorful.
After the honey bee section, we decided to call it a day.
Glen found this great restaurant for our dinner dining pleasure.
I splurged and ordered an appetizer of cauliflower/white bean hummus and vegetables. Look at those huge radish-type slices and the purple cauliflower. Interesting visually and I enjoyed every bite.
Glen, on the other hand, scowled while tasting a few of the things. He's not a very adventuresome eater. He did enjoy the meal he ordered, so he ended on a good note.
All in all--I'd say we had a very fun day as we laughed about going to the Minnesota State Fair more often than we've gone to our own state fair.
2 comments:
My, the Minnesotans sure know how to throw a fair! I think the bonsai plants were my favorite. How have I never heard of a bonsai plant? they're adorable. Can I grow one? I sense a new passion entering my life.
And the seed art? I don't feel inclined to participate in that fair spectacle, but I was impressed with the work done there! And the scare crows? What the heck!?! It's like the parade of trees for farmers. Love it!
I can see why you keep going back!
Yes, the fair looked so fun! You made me a bit self-conscious though when you had a picture of a cow float with this right after it: "Couldn't help but think of our daughters at various times during the day." I mean, I know Sarah's nursing, but still, that reference felt a little unjustified...until I realized you were referring to the following pictures. Phew! (Though the thing that reminded you of me was still a cow so...maybe I'm still offended.)
Post a Comment