Since Claire recently turned 8 years old, she chose to be baptized.
It worked out great that Jacob is in the bishopric, so he was able to be the one to conduct the baptism as well as baptize and confirm Claire.
The day after Thanksgiving was the day chosen to have the baptism.
The Owens family was visiting Jacob's family and got to participate in the baptism at the church with them.
Laurie had made a personalized book for Claire which Luke had illustrated. She read the book to Claire at the baptism and then gave her a baptism bear and some gummi bears that went along with the story.
We were very thankful we could join in on a Zoom meeting so we could be a part of the baptism in that way.
The grandchildren helped convince their grandpa that we should set up our Christmas tree. Every year Glen tries to get out of that job. Not this year!!
He was really struggling with the lights...
And the star... Poor tree!!It eventually came together with a more even distribution of illuminated lights and the star sitting much straighter at the top.
It's "just like Christmas" every year when I get out the decorations and start unwrapping them. Some of them I have had for years and years and they are very dear to me. Others are much newer and bring me such delight when I rediscover them and get excited about finding a place for them.These three little Christmas mice have been with us for almost our whole married life. They have survived our five children and all the grandchildren playing with them through the years.
This year when I pulled them out of their protective Styrofoam holder, I dropped one and his arm broke off. I couldn't believe it!! I was the one to break a family heirloom! Nothing a little hot glue couldn't repair, though.
We pulled out the adorable missionary stockings made by the mother of one of our missionaries. These just tickle me every time I look at them. So cute and clever and a great reminder of the three years we served in California.
Jamie Jensen stopped by that evening to drop off a beautiful, big red poinsettia. I had just thrown away the last of the fall flowers and the cabinet was looking pretty bare. Not any more!!!
We had learned at the end of October that Glen's sister JoAnn's husband was in the hospital with COVID-19.
Dave was on a ventilator for 3 1/2 weeks before he passed away the day before Thanksgiving. This scene is so touching to me as I think of all the healthcare workers who have been dealing with this disease and how hard it must be for them to watch people under their care die.
It was hard on JoAnn and her family who were not allowed to visit him because that is how it has been ever since this pandemic hit. Thankfully, the hospital let the family visit him in person the night before he died.Dave is statistic number 11 on this daily death count who succumbed to the coronavirus. He was 74 years old and had no underlying health conditions. It is SO SAD!!!
We hadn't been to Coalville in years. We haven't been very far from our house for a very long time, so it was nice to take a drive on a beautiful day. It was a very cold day, but we were so thankful it was not windy and it was not snowing.
Dave and JoAnn, Kathy, Christy and Cheryl.
Dave's grandson on the far left was standing by the casket crying with his hand patting his grandpa's chest. It was so tender and dear and so heart-breaking at the same time.
Glen with his sisters Maurine, JoAnn and Barbara.
Back at the car, Barbara pulled out her annual Christmas gift to us--Chex party mix that she had made. One year I ate the whole batch before Glen could even eat any and when Barbara found out about it, she made some more for him and included another container for me.This year there were two labeled containers--so Glen doesn't get cheated out of his fair share. HAHA!! Great idea, Barbara!! (But it is still very tempting to eat all the Chex out of Glen's container. I always leave the pretzels and the nuts for him. Sounded like a fair deal to me...)
On our way home from the funeral, we stopped at Ben and Haley's home so Glen could try his hand at getting the kitchen sink unplugged. Ben had been trying since the day before to no avail.
Kade had a little playtime with his grandpa before it was his naptime.
We stopped to pick up lunch at Arby's because, like the burger wrapper says, I am "special." Also, I did not want to have to cook that day.
On our way home from the funeral, we stopped at Ben and Haley's home so Glen could try his hand at getting the kitchen sink unplugged. Ben had been trying since the day before to no avail.
After a few plunges...Glen announced the drain had been cleared.
Ben was pleasantly surprised since his technique had netted no such result. Haley was thrilled that she would finally be able to get the dishes done.I enjoyed holding the sleeping baby for a few minutes and keep marveling at how quickly he has grown.
Kade had a little playtime with his grandpa before it was his naptime.
We stopped to pick up lunch at Arby's because, like the burger wrapper says, I am "special." Also, I did not want to have to cook that day.
Our little Christmas tree decorators came over tonight to put the ornaments on the tree.
Now THAT looks like what a Christmas tree should look like!!
Thank you, grandchildren, for helping us finish up the last of our Christmas decorating!




1 comment:
Wait, I want Chex mix! I've been craving it!
Post a Comment