Since we don't venture far from home these days, whenever we do, it's a big event. We drove to Hooper one evening to a wedding reception for one of our missionaries. Glen worked this past year with this missionary's grandparents who serve as Church Service Missionaries.
The event was held in a barn where we walked through a sandy parking lot and then a rocky area before getting to the entrance. We were so thankful there had been a dry few days before the reception so the parking lot wasn't muddy.
It was worth the effort for Glen to clomp through the obstacles in his boot to get us to this lighted, horse-drawn carriage by the front door. Loved it!!
Glen was a good sport to drive through the light display Roy City had prepared for all us eager, lovers of beautiful Christmas lights.
This is Glen's childhood favorite restaurant all decked out with Christmas lights as well. It is amazing that after all these years, the Burger Bar in Roy still is doing the business. Even on a freezing cold evening.
I have loved so much having the Christmas decorations out. My exercise these days, since it has gotten so bitter cold outside, is doing laps around the house. It is a feast for my eyes and brings peace to my soul when I see all the seasonal decorations adorning our home.
Not only have the Christmas decorations brought me so much joy, but also listening to Christmas music. Lots of it!! Can't get enough of it!! It just makes me so happy!!
I decided to tackle a project that I had set as a New Year's goal...way back in January...and now it's December... Perhaps it could be said I was dreading it because I knew it would be a big job.
My goal was to organize in binders all the memorabilia I had collected over the past 4 1/2 years. I collected a lot of stuff on the mission and the 1 1/2 years since we've been home. It sounded overwhelming!!
Imagine my delight when I started pulling out the folders and realized I had planned ahead for this very moment as I had taken the time to write on each folder the space of time the folder memorabilia was collected.
Yay for me!! I was patting myself on the back for doing that through the years. Then it has been methodically going through each folder deciding which things I would keep to put in my binders.
It has been the perfect project to have Christmas music playing as I have been walking down memory lane.
Each card or note or picture would bring back a flood a memories. This card was especially tender as I remember Dallas's mother accompanying them on one of their October trips to visit us in California.
Several months after their return home, she passed away.

A short few minutes after reading her card, Kathryn's photo showed up on the computer screen saver. I loved that little tender mercy for me to see her again as I had just read her words.

Dallas and Rebecca's family participated in a church drive through activity. Families were asked to color nativity scenes on butcher paper and they were taped to tables outside. Brooke drew theirs and the other three children colored it.


Caroline was the cinnamon roll making queen one day. YUMMY!! I am only saying it because they look delicious. I unfortunately never got to taste one.

Madison was being the snow shoveling, give service angel as she insisted on shoveling the neighbors' driveways after her driveway was cleared.

Spencer's version of a Christmas sweater. I love the wise men bowing. And the shining red nose on Rudolph.

Meanwhile, in a totally different state, Luke was busy designing his own Christmas sweater.

The closer look helps with seeing all the cute details. I love Mrs. Claus holding up the mistletoe and her words to Santa to "Pucker up!!!" The snow globe with the lounging snowman on the beach made me laugh. I thought the sleigh and reindeer at the bottom was a wonderful touch.

Levi at 2 1/2 months old. Getting more smiley all the time.


It has been fun to have Ben and Haley send photos of all the ways Kade has been enjoying the olive wood nativity set we gave them that we bought on our trip to the Holy Land. Peek-a-boo Kade!!

Kade added another figure to the nativity.
Sarah got sustained as Young Women President in her Las Vegas Ward. She is excited to work with her presidency members Katherine, Cindi and Rachel. Rebecca and I laughed when she said she was thrilled to learn two of them LOVE girls' camp. The three of us girls are not in that same "camp."
I got a kick out of this photo of cute Jonah with Sarah saying he is the first kid she's ever met who will only eat the crusts of his sandwich.
These many months of the coronavirus pandemic have been frustrating for everyone. It has been a very isolating feeling being told we should stay in and not go anywhere. We got a little sense of freedom to be with friends and family during the summer when we could meet outside where the germs don't seem to spread as easily.
With the temperature plunging and snow falling, this is a great image of how difficult and uncomfortable it would be to meet outside. So the feeling of isolation has returned.
The fear of getting the dreaded illness is continually on everyone's mind. Hearing of friends and loved ones getting it and the struggles to recover and the ones that don't make it is really a sobering thought.
I just learned my brother Andy now has COVID-19. It is worrisome news. Another one to add to the daily, positive-for-Covid count. Thankfully, he is holding his own, so we hope that continues and we pray others in the family don't get it.
This toilet paper/green mask tree sums up perfectly how most feel about the year 2020.
We had some Christmas carolers come to our door the other night. They brought such happiness to me as I thought of them outside in the cold going house to house, bringing cheer to the people who opened their doors to hear their singing.
Such a great reminder that despite all the problems in the world, we are still celebrating the birth of our Savior. It is through Him we find inner peace during troubling and worrisome times.
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men" (Luke 2:14).
No comments:
Post a Comment