Thursday, October 9, 2014

Jacob, IPad, Dinner, Mailbox

Jacob is now a traveling man with his new job assignment in Texas. Lucky us when he scheduled a work trip to Salt Lake City last month. He rounded up the siblings with a Cafe Rio dinner bribe.
And lucky us again when he returned for another work trip here the following week. Yes, it was another Cafe Rio sibling dinner night--just minus the photo.
Good news for Glen when Delta found his lost iPad.
We had a fun dinner date night with Glen's sister Barbara and Rich with Abraham Lincoln hanging above our table.
Our mailbox has been causing us grief. It was rusting and rotting and getting huge holes in it and more often than not the mail would get wet. I was sick of it.

Glen researched on the internet how in the world we would go about changing out a mailbox that is encased in a brick pillar. Looked like it was going to be a big project that would require special tools and expertise to get the job done. Glen put requests out for handymen to do the project and no one responded back. We were frustrated.

One morning when I saw our neighbor Lee outside, I had him come over to get his opinion of how he would go about putting in a new mailbox. After a minute's inspection of the bricked in mailbox, he said he knew how he would do it and started for his garage to grab some tools.

I quickly urged him to come back and that I hadn't meant for him to have to deal with it--I just wanted his input on how Glen might go about it. He refused to turn around, kept marching over to his house and returned in a short time with a screwdriver and a mallet in hand.
He used the screwdriver to chip out all the mortar around the mailbox and then took the mallet and beat the heck out of that thing.
Pretty soon Grant came over to see what was going on and gave his words of wisdom and encouragement.
It was much harder than it might look and Lee really worked up a sweat getting that thing almost all the way out. Then it got stuck because the back lip of the mailbox was too big to fit through the hole. This is where Grant helped out...
He got a crowbar from his garage and handed it to Lee to finish the job. SUCCESS!!! Look how happy these men were as they were serving their neighbor--us. I appreciated their efforts so much!!
That is until I looked at that hole in the brick and hoped the mailman would just hold our mail for a few days until Glen got back in town and could finish up the job Lee started.
Ta da!!!! I had a new mailbox waiting for Glen upon his return. He had to take a mallet and beat in the back of the mailbox so it would fit in the hole, but doesn't it look great from the front??
It's nice to have a handyman husband...and handyman neighbors.

No comments: