Sunday, August 19, 2012

Date Night To Beat All Date Nights

Boy, did we have one awesome date the other night!!
Let's call it dinner and a show...
I probably should mention it was a G&K work activity.
I'm still calling it a date.
Dinner was provided inside an air conditioned building.
We sat at round tables covered with tablecloths--not the plastic kind, the real thing.
The food was great--especially the desserts.
We each got our own giant souvenir cup to remind us of the evening.
It is about the size of the cup surrounding the gigantic light pole.

We sat right next to our good friends and fellow G&K employees, Bob and Robyn.
Remember--Robyn and I now work for G&K, just like our husbands.
My husband was proudly wearing his G&K cap as a walking advertisement for the company.
He and Bob were happy to see the company ad in the program.


Now on to the show...
Cars raced around the track--around and around and around and around and around--12 times.
Then more cars raced around the track--12 laps.
Then more cars raced around the track--12 laps.
Then more cars raced around the track--12 laps.
All this doesn't even take into account how many "test drives" around the track they took before the laps.
A little diversion happened when a car crashed and a tow truck entered the scene.
Don't worry--no drivers were hurt in any of the races we watched.
We may not be classified as true speedway fans if we admit something.
We were more anxious to see the monster trucks in action doing their racing and jumping.




If it hadn't taken so long for the clean-up crew to clean up after every monster truck race,
and if it hadn't taken so long at intermission when, among other things,
Maverik held a Bahama Mama hot dog eating contest,
and if they hadn't announced right after the horrendously long intermission
that coming up next was a 40-lap race,
we might have decided to stay a little longer.
Bob and Robyn and some of the other G&K employees had left long ago.

We had already invested all that time in the intermission.
Glen didn't want to invest 40 laps-worth more of our time watching the next race.
So we got up and left, missing whatever excitement more racing
and more monster truck action had in store.

But, never fear--
I'd had such a great time experiencing Rocky Mountain Raceways for the first time.
I didn't mind leaving early.

Not when there was a beautiful sunset to enjoy on the way out.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

You didn't mention how you did in the Bahama Mama hot dog eating contest. You did enter, right?

sarah said...

If G&K wanted some real advertisement they would have entered one of their orange monster trucks into all that racing.

Next time.

This date puts Excelladaters to shame.

jlthomas said...

I love following Sarah's comment because at first I was so confused because I thought I was reading the Excelladaters. I was wondering when did Sarah start working for G&K? It's all making sense now. This date looks right up your alley Kim :)

Robyn said...

I love the pictures, posts, and comments. We loved spending time with you and Glen---what an awesome date night : ) Miss our talks and working together---we need to catch up soon---oh thats right G&K Lagoon Day : )