Monday, December 16, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

It was mentioned in my previous post and it will be mentioned again in this post. It's COLD outside! Not just cold, but downright miserable, bone-chilling COLD! It's been this way for a couple of weeks. The temperature stays well below the freezing point on the thermometer day after day after day.

This was the scene from our front window at the beginning of last week and it has hardly changed since then.
Quite an impressive icicle we have. It has dripped down onto the tree below and it has turned to ice clear down to the ground. We have our own stalactite/stalagmite growing in our front yard.

Here's what it looked like out the back door.
During one of my shivering-out-of-control episodes, I consulted KSL vortex on my iPad to see just how cold it was. Seven degrees. BRRRRR!

Then I noticed poor Jacob's family having it worse than us at one degree in Omaha. But the shocking thing was seeing San Francisco registering 36 degrees. Even Abe's family has been dealing with super cold weather in "sunny California."
It was a bit unfortunate that we had our combined YM/YW mutual activity during the weeks of constant arctic air outside. We planned caroling for cans of food for the food bank.

About half of the youth who usually come braved the elements and enthusiastically went around the neighborhood caroling for cans.
There were four small groups, but I only managed to take a picture of two of the groups. This is the total amount of Young Women who showed up. But, surprisingly, they won for collecting the most food items.
At the food bank, they weigh your donation. On the donation slip it read "290 pounds of 'cand' food." Didn't know there was an abbreviation for "canned."

Fortunately I was in charge of the hot chocolate, so I got to stay inside the building while the youth and other leaders were out in the cold. I'll say it once again, "BRRRRR!!!!!"

I am thankful for a warm church, a warm car and most especially a warm home when it is so freezing cold outside.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Brooke: "Hey! That icicle is reaching down to my treehouse!"