We had adapted to the idea of being all alone--true empty nesters--on Christmas when we learned two days before the big day that we would, in fact, have one child and her family available to spend the afternoon with us. Since we were on vacation when we got the news and would get home just in time for my family's Christmas Eve party, leaving no time to go grocery shopping, I didn't know exactly what I would be able to pull together for a delectable Christmas dinner for them.
Luckily Mom came to the rescue and invited Dallas, Rebecca, Brooke and Caroline to join Glen and me for Christmas dinner with her and Dad and so that solved the "what's for dinner?" problem I was having.
Here is the Golden family arriving at my parents' home on Christmas Day.
It didn't take Brooke long to find the toys at her great-grandparents' home.
Little Caroline can now sit up by herself.
We have the guy side of the table, plus Brooke, all ready to say the prayer.
And this is what the girls on the other side of the table looked like.
Mom always cooks the most delicious roast beef dinners and after we had our fill and after the guys helped Dad get Mom's new computer running properly, we headed back to our house for a while. Brooke enjoyed moving the gingerbread men over to interact with the nativity set.
Brooke now has an obsession with musical instruments and so she was very happy to see her new gift. She was super glad to see that there was a triangle in the set.
Everyone grabbed an instrument and joined in making a family band which, in turn, resulted in making our little granddaughter extremely happy!
And here's what Christmas Eve looked like for Glen and me. Our Elder Benjamin Thomas decided to do his missionary Christmas phone call when we got to Mom's house for the family party and so we spent most of our time upstairs in Dad's office talking with our son on the phone.
It was great to feel of his upbeat attitude and hear the excitement in his voice about what he's doing and what's been happening in his part of the world. I think the phrase that the people use in West Malaysia is appropriate:
HAPPY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
3 comments:
Ahem...didn't something significant happen between the quotes of the week and Christmas? I'm eager to see the pictures from the trip!
I can't believe Caroline can sit up. I wish I could have seen Brooke playing with all her new musical instruments. I'm glad you guys ended up in good company on Christmas.
I love the action shot of us all walking to Grandma's.
Great documentation, as usual.
Oh, Sarah. I was trying so hard to throw a post up so no one would give us a hard time about having THREE Quotes of the Week in a row and I thought I did a respectable job with this Christmas entry--realizing that the post involving you would take a very long time and so I wanted to do this one first and do the longer one later.
Sorry to disappoint you. I'll try hard to document the fun time we had with you and Jeff real soon.
Post a Comment